About four years ago, my friend Barry Tempest of Kings Cliff, England sent me the facts shared here. Barry’s involved with the aviation bidness with the national government in the hinterland; hence his popular moniker “LimeyFed.” I’m transcribing the info to here so I can lessen the clutter here in the office.
1. The words “racecar,” “kayak” and level are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left. They are palindromes.
2.”Stewardesses” is the longest word typed wtih only the left hand. Lollipop is the longest word typed only with the right hand.
3. No word in the English language rhymes with “month,” “silver,” “purple” and “orange.”
4. Our eyes are the same size from our natural birth, but our ears and nose never stop growing.
5. “Dreamt” is the only word in the English language that ends in “mt.”
6. The sentence “The quick brown fox jums over the lazy dog.” uses every letter of our alphabet.
7. Only four words in the English language end in “dous.” They are “horrendous,” “tremendous,” “hazardous” and “stupendous.”
8. Two words in the English language share all five vowels in order: “abstemious” and “facetious.”
9. “Typewriter” is the longest word that can be typed using only one row of the keyboard.
10. A goldfish’s memory goes back no more than three seconds.
11. A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
12. By definition, a “jiffy” lasts 1/100th of a second.
13. A snail can sleep for three years. (And after some Saturday nights, so can I — blogger’s observation).
14. Almonds are members of the peach family.
15. An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain. (Insert your own observation about #43 here. — blogger’s suggestion)
16. February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.
17. No new animals have been domesticated for the past 4,000 years.
18. If the population walked past you eight abreast, the line would never end because of the nation’s rate of reproduction.
19. Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
20. Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
21. Rubber bands last longer when they are refrigerated.
22. The average person’s left hand does 56% of the typing.
23. The cruise liner QE2 moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel fuel it burns.
24. The microwave oven was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar in his pocket melted.
25 The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.
26. There are more chickens i this world than people.
27. Winston Churchill was born in a ladies’ room during a dance.
28. Women blink nearly twice as often as men.
Live long . . . . . . and proper.